Monday, October 20, 2008

LUKAS


Ok... so you are probably wondering why Lukas has a patch on his eye and so here is the story. (It makes me sad just thinking about it so I hope I can write and have it make sense.) So last Wed. I took Lukas into see a pediatric ophlamologist (spelling?) because we have noticed that his left eye is kinda crossed. So I took him in not thinking it was really a big deal and wondering if I was even taking him in for no reason. Well.... it is a good thing that I did. The doctor said that he has a lazy eye that is caused because he has really poor vision in his left eye and so he has just stopped using it thus causing a lazy eye. He is actually considered legally blind in that eye. (I always thought that he could see just fine. Boy was I shocked.) So he has to wear this eye patch for 4 weeks over the good eye and then have it checked again to see if the eye has regained some usage back. But that isnt all. He also has to have glasses. I know..... my two year old in glasses. That is going to be fun. So the glasses will come in hopefully this weekend and then he will have to wear his glasses in addition to his patch. (Can I just say that that seems like torture to me?!) Then the doctor goes on to say that he doesnt really think that this will fix it and he is 99% sure that he will have to have surgery. WHAT?!? So I am really scared to death about the possibily of my little guy having to have surgery. Then I got to thinking, if he is considered legally blind in that eye, how is he going to see if we cover the good eye. So I cried the whole way home and got all worked up thinking that for the next four weeks my child wont be able to see but I cannot believe how well he is doing. The doctor said it will be hard to keep the patch on but Lukas could care less. He hasnt taken it off once or complained at all about it. And he is getting around just fine. You can tell he has to focus harder on some things and he really isnt that interested in reading books right now but he is getting around so good and it has made me feel so much better. I still feel like I am a mean mom every morning when I put the patch on him and then I feel bad when ever we go somewhere and everyone stares at him but I know that I have to keep doing it if I want to help him. Everyone says he will thank me when he is older. So right now we are just waiting for his glasses. (Hopefully those arent a nightmare trying to get him to keep them on.) And then in a few weeks we will hopefully know if he needs surgery or now. We are really hoping and praying that he wont have to so keep little Lukas in your prayers. I dont know if I could stand watching him go through that. But we will keep you posted and I will get a picture on here when we get his glasses. Hopefully he lookes good in them.

9 comments:

Natalie♥ said...

O I am so sorry Shauna that really stinks. I hope the patch works for your little boy and he doesn't have to have surgery. He is so dang cute he will look great in glasses. I hope all goes well for you guys. Keep us posted.

Shellie said...

Kids are so resiliant. It's great that you picked up on his eyesight so early. My niece had the surgery I'm sure your doctor is talking about Lukus having. It went great for her. We'll be anxious to hear about all the updates.

Roylance Rec. Center said...

Hey Shauna...I'll have you know I can't see out of one of my eyes, and I bet you never would have known... O.k. so that is what has always been wrong with me. I know everything will be o.k. that is the great thing about our gospel and what we believe. We are blessed for our faith and our long-suffering. Keep hangin' in there.
Love ya
Ali

Kimberly said...

It's so good that you took him in when you did. I remember Rustin (he's an eye doctor) telling me about a little boy who didn't come in until he was 5 or 6 and by that time the nerve pathways in the eye had completely stopped working and his vision couldn't be corrected at all. In other words, if you weren't making Lukas use his bad eye right now when his nerve pathways are still developing, he could very possibly lose the ability to use that eye at all. So you are completely doing the best thing by giving him a patch.

And I'm sure the glasses will be adorable! Gook luck!

Bledsoe said...

Lukas looks very cute in his eye patch. Hopefully "Nellie" is handling hers as well! Things are going to be all right. It is amazing what they can do with eyes.

Dave and Candace said...

What a little trooper Lukas is (and you too). We're keeping you all in our prayers and we know things will work out for the best. An eye patch or glasses (or both!) could never hide what an adorable little boy you have!

Emily said...

Little Lukas! What a blessing that he keeps the patch on -- a reward for your good mothering!! He looks so cute in the patch!! I'm sure the glasses will be darling too! If you have more questions about his eyes, you could call Kim's husband, Rustin (optometrist)... I have this phone number. We'll definitely think about you guys!

Loleen said...

You are both in our prayers. He will look so cute in his glasses, I am sure that once he gets used to them he will wear them good. Good luck with everything.

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

Shauna I have the same problem and the Dr.s told my parents I would need surgery. They didnt feel good about it and I never did. I grew out of it and now I dont even wear glasses. I still cant see perfect our of my left eye but its ok. I had it pretty bad, it makes for some funny pictures. I love the little patch, its pretty dang cute on him i think! Good luck with it and I hope the patch works magic.